Being unemployed and not in school at the moment has prompted many people to ask me the following question: "So, what do you do all day?" Here's an update.
Believe it or not, it is possible to be productive while not having a job or attending school. However, I readily admit it is just as possible to not be productive.
I consider this time I have to be a blessing from God. It is nice to have this opportunity to contemplate life and where I am headed. I have also been busy cultivating friendships and talents, spending time with family, and having somewhat of a social life.
I have spent a lot of time studying, pondering, and carefully considering my schooling. I recently registered for classes for spring semester, which starts April 20th. I really want to be smart about it, so I have seriously spent a lot of time planning things out. I don't want to waste time and money by taking classes that won't apply toward graduation. (However, Mom often tells me that "no education is wasted.") I am majoring in Communication. I am considering some different minors at the moment, but possibly photography or organizational communication. My least favorite question of all time is, "so, what do you plan on doing with that?" Well, I plan on getting a job. Which job that would be, I don't know at the moment. All I know is that after prayer and consideration, I feel this is the direction I should take. So, we will see what the Lord has in store for me. I have probably 1 1/2 to 2 years of undergraduate classes left.
Other things I've been up to...
I live really close to the Rexburg, Idaho temple, and I've gone a couple of times since I moved up here. Last week I was able to participate in sealings for the first time. That was amazing. I was able to act as a daughter in sealing families together for eternity. It was so beautiful and peaceful.
I have also attended institute, tried to keep up on my gospel studying, and done other spiritual things. I attend the devotionals on campus each week.
This weekend I attended BYU-Idaho's "Home and Family" Conference. It was really good. The theme was, "All is Safely Gathered In." There were various classes available. It reminded me of how important it is to have a home that can be a refuge from the world.
It is my hope that single people out there, whether or not they are in school, have a job, etc, realize that they can (and should) enjoy life now. I am trying to take advantage of opportunites that come my way. I am definitely not sitting around waiting for "mr. right" to just show up (although, sometimes I think that'd be nice). Nor am I just sitting around waiting for life to begin. I love a quote by President Hinckley, "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."
I wish more people would realize and acknowledge the worth of single people. It sometimes seems that if you are married, you are better than the single people. Or, that you have more worthwhile things going on in life or something. I don't know exactly how to explain it. But, all I know is that each person, and each life, is precious in God's sight. We are all on different paths. No one has the right to judge what another person is choosing to do with their life. It is their own life to live. I become increasingly aware of this each day.
The other night I saw a girl that I went to high school with. She is married and has a child. I just had to stop and think how interesting it is that our lives are so very different right now. But, that is not at all a bad thing.
A favorite scripture of mine sums this all up- Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
You know, I am very happy with the life I am living and the choices I have made that have brought me to this point. I know that God has led me and guided me to where I am today. How could I be any less satsifed?. :)
Butterscotch Chip Pudding Cookies
13 years ago
1 comment:
Yea! It sounds like you've been keeping busy and most importantly you are happy! I agree with you about single people not be valued enough...I think it's because of Church culture being what it is - though you can tell the General Authorities try to combat this as much as they can with all the articles they put in the Ensign about the value of single people. I value you Carrie! :) Though I still would like to keep getting updates about your dating adventures...
Post a Comment