Monday, January 21, 2013

I'm a Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it.

I've had a lot on my mind tonight. I have a lot of quiet thinking time these days.

Today, as I was leaving work, my co-worker asked, "So, what's there to do around here (in the area)?" I told her I'm still figuring it out. Part of me wondered if she was wondering what bars are in the area or something. So, I followed my answer up with, "I don't really go to bars or anything like that. I'm Mormon." She then replied, "I kind of figured."

That really got me thinking. It made me happy, actually. We've only been working together for two weeks and she already knows I'm LDS/Mormon. Maybe part of it has to do with the fact that I mentioned I served a mission for my Church in the Chicago area, where she is from. But, I hope that part of it was also my example.

I got to thinking and wondering if she (and others) might think I don't live a "fun" life, because I don't "party" in the way that she and the rest of my co-workers do. I wish I could portray to her and others what a beautiful life it is to live the Gospel.

To be honest, the past two weeks I've been at this job as I've been surrounded by coffee, tea, and stories of drinking/partying I've kind of stopped to re-examine why I believe what I believe and why I do what I do. Church leaders counsel members to not drink those drinks because they can be addicting and habit forming. They can impair judgement. Not to mention the fact that they are bad for our health. But, most of all, they can cause us to lose the Holy Spirit- which I know I definitely need to guide me in my life.

When I think of those things, what comes to mind is, "Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die." They are worldly things- things focused on the here and now. It's not the way I want to live my life. I'm thankful to know what I know and do what I do.

I'm a Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it.

No comments: