Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Precious Gift of Life

My bishop's wife passed away today. It was totally unexpected. The bishop returned home from work to find his wife dead. I can't even begin to imagine how hard that would be.

Also, last Friday a BYU-Idaho student passed away as a result from an auto accident. She was traveling home to Spanish Fork, UT on I-15 when her car rolled near Inkom, ID. The cause of the accident is not known, but she was wearing a seat belt. Sadly, as students we occasionally get e-mails informing us of a student or employee death. For some reason this has really stuck with me. Perhaps it is because the girl was 25 and an RM. Also, I travel home on I-15 frequently and go through Inkom. In fact, I rode on that same stretch of freeway just the day before. This could have been me. It's just so crazy to think about. One day this girl is busy with life at BYU-Idaho- doing homework, etc and the next day she's gone. Apparently the Lord needed her on the other side. It's another witness to me that God is in control and He has a plan for each of our lives.

Would we be ready if the Lord called us home today? That is kind of a scary thought to me. I know I have so much to work on and improve. I'm thankful the Lord doesn't expect us to be perfect now, or even when we die. I'm reminded of Alma 34:32, which states: "For behold this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors."

Each day, each moment of our lives is so very precious. I hope we'll all ponder this and strive to make our lives more meaningful.

No comments: