I've been thinking a lot about friendship lately. Moving to Idaho, away from many, many, friends I have here in Utah, is bittersweet. It has really kind of hit me; I have a ton of friends here I am going to deeply miss. But, this is yet another way I must take a step of faith and do what the Lord wants me to do (and what I know in my heart is right)- go to BYU-Idaho. I do have wonderful friends up there as well, thankfully. However, I sadly leave many friends here in Utah. It doesn't mean that those friendships are lost, by any means. I truly love keeping in contact with people and continue to strive stregthen friendships, even if we are not in close proximity. I find the greatest joy in my life comes from spending time with my friends and family. The Lord has blessed my life with wonderful people. I have seen, by watching the lives of others, that the friends you chose are important to what kind of life you live. If you chose good friends, they will influence you for good. And visa-versa. I am so grateful the Lord has blessed me with good examples. I learn so much from others. I am an observant type of person. Many, many, people have no idea what I've learned from their lives and their wonderful examples to me.
You know, the fact that life is ever-changing, can sometimes be a hard thing. It means that people move to different places, get involved with different activities, etc. It's hard to accept that life together wasn't the way it was before at times. For example, when my oldest brother got married, I had a really hard time. I realized that life would never be the same as it was before. All of those good times growing up were great, but they were now over. Now a new chapter in his life and in mine was starting. That was hard. Even when I returned from my mission I struggled seeing how others' lives had changed. Some people seemed to have moved on in life without me. Not, that that's a bad thing by any means, it was just hard.
I've also been thinking about what friendship is. What is a true friend? I'm learning more and more that friendship is a two way street. If you are putting all the effort, all the work into it, then is that person really a true friend to you? I don't think it is fair to always be there for someone, but when you need them, they aren't around.
My mission taught me a lot about friendship and companionship. It is something that must be cultivated. As I mentioned, it is work. You must give up your own desires and selfishness at times. That is something I know I need to work on. I am a very independent person. But, I am trying to overcome those prideful ways of mine. I appreciate the patience of good friends, who over look my shortcomings. I am aware I do have many of those! But, a true friend will help you grow. They will help you in your quest to be better. A true friend isn't just concerned with their own well-being, but also how you are doing. They lift you up when you are down. They try to understand you and your point of view.
With all that being said, once again, I realize I am no where near being the "perfect" friend. I have so much to work on. But, I love all my friends and am grateful for the love they show to me. I am positive that the Lord places people in our paths at certain times in our lives so that we can help them or they can help us. I don't doubt either, that some of the friends I have made here in this life I knew before I came to earth.
I found the following piece of writing awhile ago and it has always kind of stuck with me. It says:
People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When you figure out which it is, you will know exactly what to do.
Some people come into our lives and quickly go..
Some people become friends and stay awhile...
leaving beautiful footprints on our hearts...
and we are never quite the same because we have made a good friend!
When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend, and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up or out and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and it is now time to move on.
When people come into your life for a SEASON, it is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season
LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons; those things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person or people involved; and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships, and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.
Isn't that so true? I want all my friends to know that I love them a ton. You make my life a little brighter. Thanks for being you!
3 comments:
Well we'd better be lifetime friends! OR ELSE! ;) Thanks for always being such an awesome friend!
We all love you too Carrie. :) You were the first friend I made when I moved and I will never forget the things you have brought into my life. You make me smile! :) I've already done so twice while posting this! :) Now it's been three times! Love you, Sweets.
Thanks for being my friend. :)
Post a Comment