Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Visit to Philadelphia


We had a great view of the Ben Franklin bridge from our hotel room.


We got to go see where coins are made. We visited on a Saturday, so unfortunately they weren't in production that day. It was still neat to see where it happens. Oh, and just in case you were wondering, taking pictures is not allowed inside the building. I learned that the hard way. Thankfully, I still have my camera.:)

Mom and Dad walking the streets of Philly.



Outside view of Independence Hall.

Inside Independence Hall, where The Declaration of Independence was signed. The chair at the front is the original chair which George Washington used.

The door to Independence Hall. We arrived in Philly in the evening and we were able to go visit before they closed up for the night. We were the only ones there. We walked out and the security people locked up for the night. Interestingly, they use the original key. That thing was gigantic! It was pretty cool.
I especially enjoyed learning about and visiting the home of Betsy Ross. Maybe because she's a woman that was involved in it all. But, also, I was intrigued by the fact that she had never made a flag before making the U.S. flag.

At the Liberty Bell!

The original inkstand that was used to sign The Declaration of Independence!

The inkstand display.

As you can see, we visted Philadelphia, PA on our trip back East. I've discovered that history is so much more interesting when you can go see where it all happened. Philadelphia was really neat. We walked where our founding fathers walked over 200 years ago. That is crazy to think about.

Oh, P.S. It costs $2 to see Ben Franklin's grave. If he knew about it, I'm sure he would not be happy! Ridiculous!

No comments: