The past two sundays at church volunteers were asked to help clean the BYU-Idaho Center. I signed up, not thinking much of it. Actually, my initial thought was, "don't they have student employees who do that?" (They do. I know a girl who is an employee at the BYU-I Center.)
So, today came and of course I am tiiired. Seriously, no energy. Today was a very busy day. I was in class until 5. I was slightly tempted to not go clean, but I knew I had said I was going to go and I should do what I said I would do.
To my surprise, it was actually a stake effort. There were quite a few people there. We gathered together and received some instruction from an elderly sister missionary. Apparently she and her husband have been called on an 18 month mission to help keep the BYU-I Center clean. Interesting, huh? She talked a little bit about the building. There are 4 acres on top, 7,000 light fixtures and 214 toilets.
When the building was being built, President Hinckley asked that the students help clean it. So, that's why we were there. There are student employees who clean outside of the auditorium (the bathrooms, etc.).
The auditorium is huge. There were 105 people who showed up to help clean and it took nearly 2 hours. We were divided into groups with specific tasks to complete. Some groups vacuumed, some wiped down the backs of all the seats (15,000). My group's job was to dust all of the wood. We were to get in the grooves of the wood. The wood really wasn't very dirty at all. I mean, this place was just finished in December. And, it is cleaned every week. But, we dusted the wood never-the-less. You wouldn't think you could work up such a sweat doing that, but believe me, it's possible! Great exercise. There were cookies and punch for us when we were finished.
No comments:
Post a Comment