As Mother's Day is approaching, I can't help but think of the talk given by Sheri Dew entitled, "Are We Not all Mothers?" Even though I am not officially a "mother" I am blessed to be able to be an Aunt to 6 precious children, and next month it'll be 7. Sister Dew states,
"Motherhood is more than bearing children. … It is the essence of who we are as women." I may not have borne children myself, but I am still a mother.
I think it is important this Mother's Day, and every day really, to keep in mind those women who cannot bear children or have not yet had the opportunity to do so. While they do not have children of their own, many of them still love and care for children. Many of them long to have kids to call their own.
I was deeply saddened recently while I was riding the train to hear some people talking about how children are a "burden." I felt like shouting, "Don't you know what a blessing children are?! Don't you realize that there are thousands of people in this world who would give anything to have their own children?!"
I love what Sister Dew says,
"We just can’t let the Lord down. And if the day comes when we are the only women on earth who find nobility and divinity in motherhood, so be it. For mother is the word that will define a righteous woman made perfect in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom, a woman who has qualified for eternal increase in posterity, wisdom, joy, and influence."
All of us women are mothers. How and if we choose to live up to that title is up to us.
No comments:
Post a Comment