Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Finals, finally!

It's been a long time coming (ok, so only 3 months), and now I am almost done with my first semester at BYU-Idaho (I'm a transfer student). This semester has been quite difficult for me.

Today is a good representation of what I've dealt with in the past weeks. I had an interview with one of my professors. It was pretty much our final and we had some things we had to prepare and print out for the interview. I was up until 2 in the morning yesterday working on it. I woke up this morning and went to print it out, only to learn that I had no black ink left. So, I hurried over to the library. Of course I got the slowest computer on the earth. Then, the printer there didn't work! By then it was 11 a.m., and that's when my interview was. There was absolutely nothing I could do. It was out of my control. I was beyond crying at this point, I was downright mad (although, the tears did come later)! Finally, at 11:30 the printer worked. I rushed over to my teacher's office. I sat outside and waited until he was done with his current interview. Thankfully, he had a few minutes before his next one and was able to see me. He was pretty understanding.

You know, I am coming to realize more and more that there are many things that are simply out of my control. I just have to do what I can, and do my best. I've struggled as I sometimes feel inadequate and that my best is not good enough. But, I'm working on overcoming that.

I still have probably a year and a half left of school, which to me is a really long time. It's all relative though. Someone asked me today how much I have left and then said, "Oh, that's not bad at all."

I'm not sure why it bugs me so stinkin' much that I am not done with college. Sometimes I have to step back and realize some things. I did serve a mission, which put me behind a bit. But, I'm so glad I went. I don't know...there's just so many factors and everyone is different.

The good thing is is that I am progressing. In just a couple of days I'll be able to say that I am now 14 credits closer to graduating.

Someone once reminded me about the Salt Lake Temple. It took 40 years to build. It was a slow work in progress. Look at it now- it's such a beautiful building. Perhaps that's like us- maybe we are a slow work in progress and it sometimes seems like we aren't getting very far, but in the end we will hopefully be able to look back and see what a beautiful life we have built for ourselves. :)

No comments: