Ok, so now I don't feel as bad at the fact that I can't get a job. After job hunting for a while you start to feel like, "Ok, what's wrong with me?" Well, even though I have applied for many jobs, there are tons of other people applying and competing to get a job too. Highly over-qualified applicants are settling for minute jobs because they are so desparate.
Here are some stats (some backed up with evidence, some just based on what I've heard)
*In-n-out Burger received 500 applicants the first day of being in Utah. (something to that effect). That is just sad, my friends! It's a burger place!
*Utah's enemployment rate rose last month from 6.3% to 6.7%. (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705360024/Utah-jobless-rate-up-in-December.html)
*It doesn't really help that I may only be here in Utah for a couple of months, being off-track and all. No one really wants to hire you for that short of a period of time. But, it's extremely hard, possibly even harder, in Rexburg to find a job. So, atleast I can feel good about the fact that I'm not missing out on jobs in the 'burg. I'm not sure how it is so easy for some off-track students to go home and work for a semester.
*A girl in my ward who is a teacher said 150 people applied for one position open at her school. (I guess it was a teacher's aide position or something...) The position only paid $8.00/hr, but people with Master's Degrees applied.
(As a side note- I've said this before, but going to church and church activities pays off. Networking is key. I swear, almost everytime I've gone, I've talked to someone who knows of a job opportunity I can apply for.)
Interesting, huh?
Butterscotch Chip Pudding Cookies
13 years ago
1 comment:
Yes I agree - don't feel bad, you've done your part and that's all you can do. Even back when I was working the job market in the Provo area was bad and that was 2+ years ago. We had people applying for my cleaning job with PhD's!!
Post a Comment