Saturday, January 15, 2011

Grateful to be at BYU-I


Tuesday was the first devotional ever held in the BYU-Idaho Center. I was there and it was amazing. President and Sister Clark spoke.

Sister Clark spoke about the history of BYU-Idaho. She spoke about the "Wagonbox Prophecy." Basically, when the pioneers came to settle this area they were discouraged (I don't blame them!). It was cold and the growing season was short. The area was full of tumbleweeds and lava rock. Wilford Woodruff held a church meeting one day in 1884, where he stood on a wagonbox as there was no chapel. There were only a few people in attendance at the meeting. Here's part of what he said:

"The Spirit of the Lord rests mightily upon me and I feel to bless you in the name of Jesus Christ. I promise you that the climate will be moderated for your good. I can see these great sagebrush prairies, as far as the eye can reach, turned into fertile fields. I bless the land that it shall yield forth in its strength. Flowers and trees and fine homes shall grace this great valley from one end to the other. Schools and colleges of higher learning shall be built to serve you that you may learn the mysteries of God’s great universe. I see churches and meetinghouses dotting the landscape, where the God of Israel may be worshiped in spirit and in truth. Yes, and as I look into the future of this great valley I can see temples—I can see beautiful temples erected to the name of the living God where holy labors may be carried on in his name through generations to come."

A video was shown as this quote was read which showed all of these things which are now here- temples, fine homes (P.S. There are some FINE homes in the boonies of Rexburg. REALLY nice!), meeting houses, etc. What this area has become is amazing.

President Clark then spoke about facing our personal "frontiers" with faith. His talk was the most amazing devotional address I've ever heard. It can be read here: http://www.byui.edu/Presentations/Transcripts/Devotionals/2011_01_11_Clark.htm.

I've had some moments this week, including Tuesday as I sat in that brand new building, where I've been reminded of the fact that I am where I am supposed to be. I can't deny the fact that the Spirit told me to come here. Sometimes I forget that. Sometimes I wish I weren't here (especially when it's so cold!)... I wish I were done already. But, the truth is, if Heavenly Father wanted me somewhere else at this time in my life, I'd be there.

I came here mostly because I had a strong desire to attend a church school. I wanted the gospel to be integrated with my secular education. It's amazing to be able to attend devotionals, pray in class, and talk about the gospel with people around me.

I received my scholarship and grant money this week and I am soooo grateful for that. I wouldn't be here this semester if I didn't have that.

I'm grateful for the widow's mite which makes it possible for me to enjoy this campus. It's a beautiful campus that is subsidized by tithing funds. Many people who faithfully pay their tithing will never even be able to see and enjoy the beautiful buildings where I attend school.

I really have so much to be grateful for. I'm getting an amazing education.

No comments: