Friday, April 15, 2011

25 Years Ago

In just a couple of days I'll be 25. Whoa. I remember when I was younger 25 seemed so old and so far away. And now it's here.

As if I weren't feeling old already, I found three gray hairs today. Bad timing. Because my hair is so dark, I can see myself going gray really young. Oh, the joys of getting "old." Yay. (Ok, ok, so I realize I'm actually not THAT old.)

I've done some research for fun, and apparently the top song in 1986 was "That's What Friends Are For" by Dionne Warwick. Also on the list of tops songs were "Manic Monday," "Take My Breath Away," "Say You, Say Me," and "Glory of Love." Those were the ones I recognized. For some reason, those songs just remind me of going to the dentist when I was a child. I'm pretty sure I heard them on the radio at the dentist's office. (Random, I know.)

What's really interesting is the cell phone in 1986. Technology has come a LONG way in the past 25 years. I love this video as it shows what the cell phone looked like back then, as well as fashion of the the time and the music.



Also in 1986: Challenger crashed, the first PC Virus started to spread, and the Chernobyl disaster occurred. Other fun facts: In 1986 the life expectancy was 74.7 years, the cost of a gallon of gas was $0.93, the cost of a stamp was $0.22, and the cost of a new home was $111,900. (According to http://www.1980sflashback.com/1986/Economy.asp)

2 comments:

C/K said...

I love this post! I'm turning 25 in a month! I can't believe it. Yeah... I do feel a little old. Maybe not "old" but definitely behind. I'm glad things change though... especially hair styles.

Lois said...

Haha - love the cell phone clip!