Saturday, June 2, 2012

Stewart Falls- Minus the Falls :(

Early this afternoon I went hiking with a few members of my ward. (It was actually a stake hike, but I was with just a few people.) We were going on a easy hike up to Stewart Falls. On my way to the parking at the trailhead, I got lost. I ended up driving 5 miles up the mountain. Thankfully, when I found where I was supposed to be, I found some people I knew. We got hiking and were SO close to the falls (like 1 minute away), when we were told we had to go back. I was SUPER bummed. But, a guy had climbed up the falls and fell. It was really sad. Turns out, he died. :( I am SO glad I wasn't at the Falls when it happened. I honestly think I got lost so I wouldn't be there at that time. I've seen enough tragedy lately. I don't know what the deal is. I guess I really need to learn to be grateful for the gift of life! A few of us were chatting with some girls from the guy's ward. They were really shaken up (understandably so). Turns out their ward encompasses Campus Plaza, where I used to live. It's really sad. Once again, I've learned the lesson to not do stupid things! My thoughts and prayers are with all who were affected by today's tragedy; especially the guy's family.

1 comment:

C/K said...

I read an article about it on KSL. I guess the guy was climbing without a rope... It's still really sad, but you really increase your risks when you're not using safety equipment. Hopefully people will learn from this tragedy.