Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Things of Importance

Today I went to the Teaching Resource Center at the Missionary Training Center in Provo for the second time since I have returned from my mission. What you do is you volunteer to be an investigator and the missionaries teach you. It was such a good experience for me. I'm so glad I went. It brought back so many memories and feelings.

The first time I volunteered at the TRC was exactly a week after I came home. I learned that that was a mistake! I was so confused... I still felt like a full-time missionary, but I had to remind myself that I wasn't. As I walked the MTC campus, it really felt like it had just been the other day that I was there. Plus I got two Sister missionaries teaching me. It all just did not help me with my adjusting.

Thankfully, things were better this time. It was so interesting to be on the other end of things. I looked at these young elders and saw their enthusiasm and excitement for the gospel, for teaching the gospel, and for going on missions. It just brought me so much joy.

It was interesting how different each missionary's teaching styles,skills, and abilities were. The first set of elders that taught me (and an older man) didn't seem to know their scriptures very well. Also, they hardly ever made eye contact with me! They practically taught the whole lesson to the guy that was with me! I guess they felt awkward looking at and talking to a girl. They're gonna have to learn to deal with it though... as they'll probably teach young girls on their missions!

I also had to smile when I asked a question to one of the elders and he turns to his companion and says, "Elder so and so will answer that for you." And you see the look on the other Elder's face like, "Uh....yeah...uh..." I remember those times! It was so neat to see their teaching and even their testimonies in infancy. Not to say they are weak, by any means, I've seen plenty of greenies with huge testimonies and amazing teaching skills. But, man! The growth that will occur in those elders within the next two years... it will be incredible! They cannot see it. They cannot comprehend it. But, here I am, on the other end of things, and I know it's true. It happens.

The second set of Elders that taught us were two English as a Second Language missionaries. They were both from Mexico. I just thought they were the cutest things. I dealt with a lot of Hispanics on my mission and grew to love them even more than before. I was so proud of these elders. They did really well at teaching with scriptures. You could tell they knew their stuff. They also used really cool object lessons. I just loved one elder's facial expressions in particular. He smiled the whole time. He was animated. You just knew that he was excited to be teaching the gospel. I hope he can carry that excitement all the way through his mission, even when the times are tough.

Wow. What a time of reflection. I am now going on almost 7 weeks of being home. Where has the time gone? It has flown by. I still deeply miss my mission. The people. The experiences. The incredible spiritual highs. It's a hard thing to leave. Interesting though, I was really excited to leave. I hated tracting in the bitter cold, I hated the rejection and long hours. But, I really, really, loved the good times. Those were the times that made it all worth it. It's sad to me that I'll never again have those same experiences. I'll never again serve that same mission. Life is different now. I've got to move on, but somehow take all of that with me too. I want be a missionary my whole life- whereever I go. The gospel brings me so much joy and happiness. I want others to have that too.

I'm so glad the Lord prepared me to serve a mission. He carried me through to the end. I could not have done it without His help. It was extremely difficult. But, I am so glad I went.

I came across this quote that I love. It says: "If you serve a mission faithfully and well, you will be a better [wife], you will be a better [mother], you will be a better student, a better worker in your chosen vocation." -President Gordon B. Hinckley.

Yeah, and that's just the beginning. I am going to be blessed for the rest of my life. I wouldn't trade those things for anything, especially not any worldly pleasure or happiness.

You know, I sometimes look at my life and think I am way behind. I often make the mistake of comparing myself with others. I am almost 23 and I am no where near done with college, am not married, not working, and so forth. But, then I re-evaluate things and realize that I am totally off in my judgements. In God's eyes I am doing pretty well. I sacrificed a year and a half of my life to whole-heartedly serve Him. Serving a mission gives you an edge that other things cannot do. Now, I realize a mission is not right for everyone. But, for me it was. If I had not gone, I would have not done what the Lord wanted me to do. I would have regretted it forever. I see some of the lives others have chosen and I am extremely grateful for mine. I feel like I have vision, purpose and direction. I don't need alcohol, immorality or things of the like to make me happy. I once heard this quote: "Don't settle for what you want most for what you want now." What I want most is to be in the Celestial Kingdom with my family. Worldly pleasures are not going to give me that. However, patiently waiting for an eternal temple marriage will, along with obeying the word of wisdom. My dear friends! You don't need to settle for anything less than the best! Don't take that drink! Don't marry that person if you can't get married in the temple (I realize there are certain circumstances)! It's just not worth it! You can have a beautiful life and a glorious eternity. Doing what the Lord wants you to do is always the best option.

I am so grateful I have the gospel in my life. Meaning, I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. I know that there is hope through the Atonement of Christ. We all make mistakes and can be forgiven through His grace and His mercy. I know why I am here, where I came from, and where I am going. I know that the bible is the word of God. The Book of Mormon is another witness and testament of our Savior and can bring us closer to God. We have a prophet on the earth to lead us and guide us.

Wow, I am so blessed!



This is me the day I went into the Missionary Training Center. (before I got my tag). August 1, 2007.

No comments: