Monday, March 22, 2010

Culture

I thought I'd share some Connecticut culture I've come to learn about:

Lingo:
Tag Sale-known to westerners as "Garage Sale." Same Thing, different names.

Carriage- known to westerners as an ancient form of transportation. Known to Connecticutians (yes, that is a real word) as a grocery cart. Yes, even the signs posted in store parking lots use this terminology.

I'm sure there's more vocab, but those are the only ones I know of right now.

Other random knowledge: I am told that many residents of Connecticut who are unemployed can make more money being unemployed and living here than working at McDonalds. (Shoot, why am I living out west?!?)

Apparently people do not believe in sidewalks here- 'cause there sure ain't very many! I tried to go on a walk only to see the sidewalk end abruptly. The street was a busy one too, so I decided I probably shouldn't risk getting killed. I remember going on a walk with Christi when we visited CT in 2007 and we had the same problem. Ryan and Aubrey even lived at a different location.

Interesting how things are different in different places, isn't it?

1 comment:

Lois said...

It's always fun and interesting hearing about the little quirks in other parts of the country! Thanks for sharing!!!