So the stake likes to have recently returned missionaries speak in various wards every month, along with the high council speaker. I had my first opportunity at this today. I was assigned to speak on...dun dun....Food Storage! I was quite shocked. I really have no experience with that! But, soon, I realized that I could pick it a part and talk about principles such as obedience and preparedness. It was really a good topic for me to learn about.
Well, my singles' branch has been wanting me to speak for a while now also, but I have been out of town a lot. I received several phone calls last Monday, and a message was finally left, asking me to speak in church today. I felt bad, and I couldn't say no.
So, this was Monday. Plenty of time for me to write both talks! But, when did I start them? Not until Saturday afternoon. I headed over to the U.V.U. library, thinking I'd get more accomplished there as I wouldn't have as many distractions as at home. Well, I got my computer all set up and ready to go, thinking things were good, but then I decided to check my e-mail real quick... and it all went downhill from there. Why am I such a time waster? The good news is that I finally did finish one talk....5 hours later.
I came home, grabbed some dinner, and headed to hang out with Nicole. We watched the jazz game. I brought my laptop...just in case I felt like working on my talk. Did I? Of course not! I came home and started on my second talk at about 11:30 p.m. I worked on it until my eyes could no longer stay open at 2 a.m.
So, Sunday morning I wake up.... with a huge migrane! Not good, I thought! My second talk still wasn't finished! I got ready and went to print out my first talk. Of course, the printer was not functioning! Oh boy! I guess I should have used some of that wisdom on preparedness... and prepared for a disaster such as this! So, my Dad comes down and sees what he can do. He'd already been frustrated with our printers recently, so things didn't start off too well. He just ended up really mad. I kept watching the clock. It was coming down to the wire. I decided to just quickly write some notes from the talk. However, a miracle occurred and he was able to get a printer working. I grabbed my talk and rushed off to church. Of course I was late... If you know me, I don't like being late....at all! I am very time conscious. But, I made my beautiful stride up to the front. I decided I don't know what is worse or more nerve wracking- talking in your own ward, or talking in a ward where you know no one! I gave my talk and all was dandy and fine.
I came home and got something to eat and finished up my second talk. Thanks to some ibuprofen, my migrane was gone. I headed over to my regular church meetings. The talk I gave there went well. It was interesting how my talks changed. I left somethings out that I was going to say, or I put things in a different order. But, I think that people were able to feel the Spirit through the words I said, which is good.
After church I was set apart for my new calling (Relief Society teacher). I then rushed over to the stake offices in a different building to get my ecclesastical endorsement for BYU-I.
And now I am home.
What a crazy day!
Butterscotch Chip Pudding Cookies
13 years ago
1 comment:
Wow! It sounds like it was crazy! But it sounds like it all worked out - it's funny how that always seems to happen - nice - but funny...
Post a Comment