Thursday, March 25, 2010

Leta's Story


Tonight I got to talk to this wonderful lady. Her name is Leta (pronounced Lee-tah). It's been a couple of months since I last talked to her (I'm not very good at calling people), so I'm really glad she called me.

I recently wrote about another person from my mission, and I want to tell you about her as well, since she has impacted my life too. I met her in the Northshore area I served in in May of 2008. She had been praying to find a church. (My companion and I, of course, were praying for people who wanted to come to our church!) She lived in an apartment complex where the apartments are enclosed and you have to ring a buzzer to get in. The Spanish speaking missionaries often went to this complex to find people to teach as it was highly populated with Hispanic people. Although Leta is not Hispanic, her last name is. So, they buzzed her apartment. She let them come to the door. They talked to her, saw that she was female and English speaking, and gave her as a referral to us. The rest is history. She was baptized just shortly after I left the area in June of 2008. She is such a fun person. She is missing one leg due to a doctor's malpractice, but still has a great attitude. Oh, and she loves cats. :)

Talking to her tonight filled me with joy. She is still going to church and loves visiting teaching. I told her how happy I was that she's going to church and she told me that she needs God in her life.

Talking with her brought back a flood of memories and emotions. Boy, my mission changed my life. Seriously.

I still love these people (converts, etc) SO much. I will never forget about them.

I'm really excited about my mission reunion next weekend. Although, I've got to admit, mission reunions sometimes make me sad because I see that everyone is moving on and the memories of the mission fade into the background as life gets so busy. But, it's still fun to remember and be with those people who shared some of the same experiences.

It is crazy to think that my little sister is going to get her call anyday now and find out where the next eighteen months of her life will be spent. I'm looking forward to finding out.

2 comments:

Hailey Jones said...

soooooooooooooooooooo
excited for your little sister.
nothing better than another sister cox.

Lois said...

So cool!! I'm glad you have such great memories from your mission. Enjoy the reunion!